A chemical engineer is one of those engineering professional, having knowledge related to chemical engineering. He/she is responsible for working majorly being the part of the chemical industry for making the conversion of the necessary raw materials into multiple products, plans, and designs and decision about the operation of different plants and equipment. In other words, we can say that Chemical engineers make the application of various principles of chemistry, physics, biology, and even math for solving the problems which involve the production or utilization of chemicals, drugs, fuel, food, and several other products. Some recognized chemical engineers in the pages of history are famous even today for their exceptional contribution and work in the industry. Scroll down to know about some of the famous chemical engineers of the world.
1. George Edward Davis: The list cannot start without his name. He was renowned as the father of Chemical Engineering. He was born on 27th July 1850. In 1872 he began working as a manager with Lichfield Chemical Company where his power of innovation reached the peak. One of his critical work included in the making of tallest Chimney of height 200ft in the UK during that time. He gave some brilliant 12 lectures on ‘Chemical Engineering’ at the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology. Those lecturers are still now considered as the stepping stone of the subject of chemical engineering and explain what the subject is all about. A Handbook Of Chemical Engineering, Volume I and II’, is the book which he authored.
2. John. H Perry: Perry’s was just like a go-to handbook for the students of Chemical engineering written by John. It shaped the future of many chemical engineers in the last 70 years time period. John was by profession a physical chemist and a chemical engineer. He was famous for his developmental work on improved catalysts for the production of sulfuric acid.
3. Margaret Hutchinson Rousseau: Mass production of the penicillin is considered as one of the key moments in the pages of history; not just because it saved some billions of lives but also for the work of chemical engineering which is involved in it. Margaret Hutchinson Rousseau is the very first women awarded with a doctorate in chemical engineering from MIT. She was also the one who designed the very first commercial penicillin plant. She developed the complex process of making deep-tank fermentation to enable large-volume of penicillin production.
4. Robert Samuel Langer, Jr:: Robert Langer is considered as the father of Tissue Engineering. He is one of those chemical engineers having more than 1,100 issued and pending patents. He made considerable contributions in the field of medicine and biotechnology and gave birth to new technologies, and significant among them is the drug delivery systems.
5. Thomas H. Chilton: Chilton and Allan P. Colburn are the famous father of modern Chemical Engineering Practices. He was the one who developed the Chilton-Colburn analogy.
Chemical engineering is a popular branch of engineering and those who serve the industry after completing their engineering degree in this subject are known as chemical engineering. The professional will be responsible for serving the industry for doing the effective conversion of all mandatory raw materials for making several products, designs, and plans and take an important decision regarding plants and machinery needed for chemical operations. In short, Chemical engineers are engaged in the developing and designing of processes related to chemical manufacturing.
There are many chemical engineers who contributed hugely and are remembered still today for the huge contribution they made in the industry. Their work created a huge impact on the chemical engineering community. They used their unique skills towards shaping the world and improved the quality of life for the people on this earth. We picked the name of a few of the popular chemical engineers who made havoc contribution during their time.
1. George Edward Davis: He is known as the father of this specific branch of engineering. One of the critically acclaimed works of him includes making of the tallest Chimney having a height close to 200ft in the United Kingdom during his period.
2. Margaret Hutchinson Rousseau: Abundant production of penicillin is among the popular historic moments in the industry of chemical engineering; which saved billions of human lives and doing it even today. Margaret Hutchinson Rousseau was the lady who developed the initial and first penicillin plant commercially.
3. Arthur D Little: Arthur D Little is addressed as ‘American father’ of this industry. He opened an International consultancy firm on his name and established the process of unit operations and applied it for defining chemical engineering.
4. John. H Perry: The books penned down by John. H Perry helped many chemical engineers to make a career in the industry. He was a chemist (physical) as well as a successful chemical engineer. Perry is known for the developmental work which he did on the topic of improved catalysts which are useful for the manufacturing of a specific acid( sulfuric).
The Internet of Things (IoT) describes the network of physical objects—“things”—that are embedded with sensors, software, and other technologies for the purpose of connecting and exchanging data wi...