It is often asked that what is so special about carbon that it makes the central atom in the chemistry of life. To answer this question here, we will first discuss the unique qualities of carbon and then consider the points that make it a particular atom in the chemistry of life. So let us begin:
Carbon has the particular electron configuration that gave the power of covalent compatibility with a lot of elements. It is versatile in nature and it can build 4 bonds. These qualities make it possible for most of the living things to have it as an essential component in them. Let us elaborate it here. Each of the atoms of carbon has the capacity of making 4 covalent bonds as we have already mentioned. This makes it create long chains of attached side groups. In simple terms, this means that carbon has the capability of making 3-D molecules. It is also capable of producing double as well as triple bonds. So according to this calculation, carbon is capable of making infinite particles. Similar properties can be seen in silicon however it is quite rare on the earth. Also, most of it is found as silicon dioxide or sand on the surface, so it is quite rare to find life-based on silicon.
Now let us see the unique qualities of carbon that make sit the central atom in the chemistry of life. Scroll down and check out:
• Living things require carbon to carry their process of survival, growth, and reproduction.
• Carbon is found in abundance on earth, and it cycles on earth in various forms.
• It is readily available to the living organisms, and it is present in the balance with the other chemical reactions of the atmosphere like in ponds, oceans, etc.
• It is the basic building block of life, and all the living beings have it in themselves.
• Every molecule of the human body has carbon in the form of sugar, DNA, proteins, fats, etc.
• It is also the chief component of macromolecules like proteins, lipids, nucleic acids, carbohydrates, etc.
• The structure of carbon molecules enables it to make bonds in various elements, and it can form 3-D particles with many different atoms.
• As per the carbon cycle, you can see how it passes through living beings to the non-living things in the environment.
Hope the points mentioned above regarding the unique qualities that make carbon the central atom in the chemistry of life serve as valuable information for you. If you have any further questions related to this topic, feel free to contact us in the comment section so that I can answer your particular issues.
The Internet of Things (IoT) describes the network of physical objects—“things”—that are embedded with sensors, software, and other technologies for the purpose of connecting and exchanging data wi...