Chemistry is a branch of science which is concerned composition of the substances of a matter. It is also the study of the properties and reactions of the matter and their nature while they interact with other substances. Chemistry has five major branches which are further sub-divided into various parts. Here in this article, you can find all the details.
1. Organic Chemistry
The branch of chemistry that engages with the study of chemical compounds by their preparation, properties, and structure is called Organic Chemistry. The study deals with the substance composition of carbon dioxide and hydrogen. There are further five sub-branches of organic chemistry:
- Organometallic chemistry — This is the study of the chemical bonding of the carbon and metals.
- Physical organic chemistry — This is the study of interrelationships between reactivity and structure of the organic molecules.
- Medicinal chemistry — This is the study of the drug action where the synthesis, design, and development of medicinal drugs are combined.
- Polymer chemistry — This is the study of polymer chemistry.
- Stereochemistry — This is the study of the atoms and molecules and their spatial arrangements.
2. Inorganic Chemistry
It administers with the study of the behaviors and properties of the inorganic compounds like metals, crystals, minerals, catalysts, etc. in their Periodic Table is called Inorganic Chemistry.
Inorganic chemistry has 5 branches:
- Geochemistry — The branch of inorganic chemistry which deals with the chemical changes and composition of minerals, atmosphere, and rocks is Geochemistry.
- Bioinorganic chemistry — This is the study of the metal ions and their interaction with the living tissue and enzymes.
- Organometallic chemistry — This is the study of the bonding between carbon and metals of a chemical compound.
- Nuclear chemistry — This is the study of radioactive substances.
- Solid-state chemistry — This is the study of the structure, properties, and synthesis of solid materials.
3. Analytical Chemistry
The branch of Chemistry which deals with a substance’s qualitative and quantitative determination of the chemical components is called analytical chemistry. Analytical Chemistry further has 3 parts:
- Forensic chemistry — The branch of Analytical Chemistry which deals with the principles, methods, and techniques of chemical substances and their criminal investigation is called Forensic Chemistry.
- Environmental chemistry — The study which determines atmospheric, soil and aquatic chemical and biochemical phenomena of the environment are called Environmental chemistry.
- Bioanalytical Chemistry — This study deals with the examination of various biological components like hair, blood, saliva, urine, and sweat for the detection of drugs.
4. Physical Chemistry
Physical Chemistry is that branch of Chemistry which deals with the study of various physical and chemical properties and structures of a substance. There are 5 sub-branches of Physical Chemistry.
- Surface chemistry
- Quantum chemistry
- Chemical kinetics
Biochemistry is the theory of chemical reactions in living beings. It has 5 branches:
- Molecular biology Genetics
- Clinical biochemistry
- Agricultural biochemistry