Genetic engineering has already proved its worth in multiple fields including medicine, environment, and production of energy and food. The methods of genetic engineering evolved more than three decades ago, and there have been many advances made in the field so far. There are many benefits for crops from genetic engineering, and here we will have a look at few.
Advantages for crops from genetic engineering
Genetically modified crops are those where the DNA of the plant is altered or replaced with the DNA of another plant or organism to produce a better result. The world of agriculture is probably the most benefited with the advent in genetic engineering.
With an increasing demand for quality food, Genetic engineering has certainly lent a hand to the conventional methods to provide a way for increased, and quality produces.
Genetic engineering is in use for more than two decades and helped farmers in cultivating different types of crops which can control diseases and attack of insects. It reduced the use of pesticides and the requirement of land as well as water for crop growth. The technique of genetic engineering requires the inclusion of specific beneficial features, traits or you can say genes right into the plant DNA. There are a few steps which are involved in genetic engineering:
1: Extraction of DNA.
2: Cloning of Gene
3: Designing of Gene
5: Doing Backcross Breeding.
The genetic engineers need to pass through all these steps to cultivate the crops. Now the question that will come to your mind is that what the benefits of genetic engineering towards crop cultivation are.
• It is one of the safest methods to cultivate the good quality crop.
• It managed to improve the quality as well as taste, besides increased nutrients.
• Supports in reducing the environmental effect due to human activities.
• Reduces the need for chemicals to be used for the killing of the insects and pests.
• Delivers higher yield in short span of time. Provides reliable as well as highly profitable crops for the global market.
• Contributes towards lowering the percentage of deforestation.
• Supports in decreasing the level of global warming.
• Lowers down the cost of food in the market.
The above list of benefits is not all that you will get to enjoy when you opt for genetic cultivation. There are many more on the list which you will get to learn when you talk to a genetic engineer having several years of experience in this industry. But just like pros, there are some cons too about genetic engineering which also you must know before taking advantage of this technology.