With technological advancements and the information age, lots of things have changed, and that involves the change in human relationships. Several technological advancements such as instant messaging apps, emails, and social media have made interactions between humans very easy and smooth. This has helped to ease communication between friends and families irrespective of their distances. Thanks to technology. You can call, text and even see your loved ones wherever they may be. Working with people in different locations has also been made easy with innovations like conference calls. Long distance relationships have also been made possible. There exist several dating websites that link up to different people and make communication easy between these couples. Although technology makes interactions between humans easy, technology can in many ways impede human relationships. It can affect negatively the way humans relate and connect. Personal interactions, in the long run, may not be going well although the advantages technology seems to offer. Below are a few ways technology can negatively affect relationships.
This is especially the case with text messages, on social media or in an email. Very often it is difficult to detect the tone of the message you receive. It is difficult to tell if someone is angry, happy, being sarcastic or indifferent. The context of the message is as important as the content and not being able to know the context in which the message was written, hearing a voice or seeing action will leave you guessing sometimes.
Very often when you text, you do not feel a personal connection with the person you are talking to. What helps us feel human connections are the smiles and the emojis, but sometimes, these are not enough. A handshake, a hug, a kiss, will make you feel more connected to someone than emojis will ever do.
In today’s world, it is very common to see people gather for an event or party and not talk to each other. Very often, their heads become buried on their phones as they are busy chatting on social media platforms. People tend to ignore those physically present with them in their struggle to connect with those out of sight.
Although technology helps to bring people close to their loved ones by bridging the gap existing between them and their locations, it is very important for humans to strike a balance. Both should complement each other and not one replacing the other.
Technology has taken over a huge space among human life existence with its massive growth. Nowadays, almost all the people of the world have become solely dependent on technologies, whether it is regarding their work life or personal life. If we come to work life, almost every systems, devices, machinery, etc. are based on technologies. People rely on technologies when they are at home and doing various activities like cooking, cleaning, spending leisure times, moving for trips, etc. The most common existence of technologies is seen in the usage of television, smartphones, video games, cameras, kitchen appliances, laptops, computers, and so on. We cannot end the list if we go on saying what technologies are so much popular among human beings. But, it does not leave time to say that technology has equally affected human relationships a lot both in a positive as well as negative ways:
- Life has become very easy and fast through the advancement of technologies. People can easily get in touch with their friends and relatives through messages, video chats, phones, and even make new friends.
- There is no such time when people feel monotonous or inactive as numerous options like televisions, gyms, smartphones, digital networking are there to spend leisure time.
- Whether it is shopping or booking a hotel or recharging or banking; everything can easily be done through the internet. This saves a lot of personal time and energy.
- The harshest truth is that not human beings, rather technology has grasped human beings. People forget active social lives and communication among the family members have decreased as they remain busy in smartphones or laptops.
- People get easily deceived in the hands of cybercrime, which destroys their lives. Making new friends without verifying their backgrounds are harmful.
- Social issues like extramarital relationships, mutual divorce, unemployment, and personal issues like infertility, loss of quality time, manners, etc., has increased a lot these days.